Let Us Fight For The Compensation You Need After A Life-Changing Injury
When an injury changes the trajectory of your life and permanently limits things you thought you could take for granted, no amount of money can bring back what you have lost. But compensation is nonetheless necessary and appropriate to offset the astronomical costs associated with severe and catastrophic injuries.
At the Law Office of Brian H. Turner, our attorneys have witnessed some of the worst nonfatal outcomes that injury victims can experience. And with over 50 years of combined legal experience, we are honored to help these clients and their families seek outcomes that recognize what they have suffered and allow them to live as normally as possible.
What Are Catastrophic Injuries?
The definition of a catastrophic injury can vary depending on your reference source. At least one law (42 U.S. Code § 3796b) defines it as an injury that “permanently prevents an individual from performing any gainful work.” However, the term is more commonly used to refer to injuries that have a significant and long-lasting impact on a person’s health and quality of life.
Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Severe traumatic brain injuries
- Major loss of vision and/or hearing
- Loss of one or more limbs
- Neck, back and spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis (quadriplegia and paraplegia)
- Severe burns covering significant portions of the body
- Permanent disability
- Loss of mobility or core bodily functions
- Injuries that require lengthy hospital stays and long-term medical care
It is important to differentiate catastrophic injuries from less-severe injuries because of the implications for future medical costs, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, reduced enjoyment of life and costs associated with a permanent disability. These are major losses that warrant significantly higher levels of compensation.
Calculating Costs Of Medical Bills And Future Care
If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, our California attorneys will focus on helping you accurately calculate the financial losses associated with it. When it comes to costs of medical care, in particular, we will account for factors such as:
- Costs of treatment that have already occurred
- Estimated costs of future treatment (ongoing medical care, additional surgeries, physical rehabilitation, pain management, etc.)
- Costs of necessary home and vehicle modifications to accommodate a disability
- Costs incurred by family members who may need to limit their gainful employment to become caretakers
- Costs of in-home assistants and medical professionals to help with daily care
As you can imagine, these costs can easily reach millions of dollars over time. Without the advocacy of an experienced attorney, victims may feel compelled to accept a settlement offer that does not even begin to cover these expenses.
Talk To Attorneys Who Listen And Care
If you have been severely injured, contact the Law Office of Brian H. Turner to tell us your story and learn how we can help. Our practice serves clients in and around Sacramento, and we have helped injury victims and their families recover tens of millions of dollars in compensation. We offer free initial consultations in our office, over the phone or at a location that is convenient for you, and we charge no legal fees if we do not help you recover money. To discuss your legal options, call 916-571-9583 or reach out online.